A chief administrative officer manages and oversees nearly all the financial, administrative, and marketing business for a large company, reporting only to the corporation’s chief executive officer. The job description of a chief administrative officer involves a detailed knowledge of company sales records and market trends, strong leadership skills, and the ability to keep a company profitable.
A chief administrative officer hires top-level employees, oversees budgetary issues, analyzes company sales and performance reports, devises new ways to improve company profits, and researches the consumer base and competitive markets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Chief Administrative Officer
- Recruits, hires, and trains upper level company executives.
- Conducts performance reviews of top-level employees.
- Delegates duties to employees.
- Terminates employees as necessary.
- Creates and oversees company budgets.
- Analyzes sales reports.
- Addresses and resolves any issues or problems with company performance.
- Works with legal department to resolve any lawsuits.
- Studies target market and current market trends.
- Researches competitive companies.
- Networks with existing and potential clients.
- Builds and nurtures relationships with clients and potential business partners.
- Researches and oversees company mergers.
- Designs and plans marketing and promotional strategies.
- Oversees execution of advertising campaigns and other promotional events.
- Creates new ways to increase company profitability.
- Studies, implements, and orders new products and services to be offered by the company.
- Travels to conferences and expositions.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possesses detailed knowledge of a company’s mission and goals.
- Demonstrates specific knowledge of company products and services.
- Is capable of conducting independent market research.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Possesses background in business and finance.
- Is capable of managing a large budget.
- Demonstrates ability to manage time efficiently and multi-task effectively.
- Exhibits strong leadership skills.
- Demonstrates solid organizational skills.
- Is capable of formulating and maintaining a network of clients and business contacts.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Demonstrates proficiency in basic computer programs like Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Exhibits ability to think creatively and analytically.
- Possesses strong problem-solving skills.
- Is familiar with the state and federal regulations for proper management of company finances and employee compensation.
- Possesses physical and mental stamina necessary to work long hours in stressful situations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, or related field is required.
- MBA is strongly preferred.
- Extensive work experience in the company field is required.
- Time will be spent in an office setting.
- Local, national, and international travel will be required.
- Work hours will vary depending on client schedules, project deadlines, and the needs of the company.
- Typical workweeks exceed the standard 40 hours.
- Environment may be fast paced and stressful.
- The average salary for a chief administrative officer is $140,000 per year.
- Salaries range from $50,000 to $225,000 per year depending on years of experience and company profile.