A program coordinator job description involves coordinating the functions and activities of a particular program. The coordinator must make sure the program’s goals are achieved and objectives are accomplished on time and within the program’s budget.
A program coordinator is essential to the operation of any program and the coordinator must work independently, make decisions based on time, space and budgetary limitations and ensure that the program has a positive impact on its target audience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Program Coordinator
- Monitors and supervises the activities of volunteers and program employees.
- Revises program goals and objectives to meet the changing needs of program participants.
- Overseas daily operations of a program and determines priorities.
- Approves program expenditures staying within budget limitations.
- Participates in solicitation of funding requests from outside sponsors.
- Advises staff, volunteers and participants on answers to questions and provides technical assistance.
- Complies with policies and procedures governing the program and ensures that the program is operating at maximum efficiency.
- Prepares reports and financial statements regarding program operations.
- Analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of the program and develops new methods aimed at greater success.
- Reviews applications for potential employees and assists in the hiring and training process.
- Recruits participants for the program as well as volunteers using designated marketing methods.
- Trains new employees and volunteers to ensure proper operation of the program.
- Completes all paper work required for funding and approval by management of all parts of the program.
- Develops promotional literature for the program such as brochures, newsletters and flyers.
- Facilitates educational workshops, meetings and conferences associated with the program.
- Interacts with members of the community to help achieve program goals and objectives.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Has extensive knowledge of the specific program.
- Possesses excellent finance, accounting and budgeting skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to be well-organized and to delegate work where appropriate.
- Displays strong leadership, management and interpersonal skills.
- Has exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Shows a talent for marketing as well as formulating and implementing innovative ideas for promoting the program.
- Possesses exceptional public speaking skills.
- Has the ability to encourage and motivate others, particularly when dealing with volunteers.
- Demonstrates the ability to attract and recruit program participants.
- Displays excellent networking abilities.
Education and Experience
- Associate’s degree in marketing, accounting or an area related to the program field.
- Bachelor’s degree in management, business or the specific field associated with the program.
- Master’s degree in business administrator, psychology or another area specific to the program.
- Certification in an area related to the program such as healthcare, education, technology or another area.
- Spends time in a climate controlled office talking on the phone and using a computer.
- Drives from place to place to visit locations where the program is being implemented or to solicit funding from businesses, individuals and branches of local and state government.
- Attends functions in the community to promote the program.
- Speaks to children and others at schools, in churches, at parks and recreation departments, in hospitals and any place else where potential program participants may be found.
- The salary for a program coordinator can range from $40,000 to $100,000 depending on the particular program and its budget as well as level of experience and education.
Create your own professional looking resume for free using our resume builder!