The job description of a business operations specialist is to improve the operations of a company so that is more effective, efficient and compliant with laws and industry regulations. The specific duties of the specialist vary depending on the size of the company and the particular industry.
A business operations specialist reviews every aspect of company operations for the purpose of improving operational processes to better serve customers and to make the company operations more efficient.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Business Operations Specialist
- Analyzes how information is recorded and how the process can be improved.
- Analyzes customer needs and determines how operations can be altered to improve service to customers and better meet their needs.
- Evaluates all company operations to make sure they are compliant with safety standards and other rules and regulations of the industry.
- Creates a “whistle blower” system that allows employees to report potential hazards.
- Audits legal documents that can impact the company.
- Generates recurring income.
- Works to increase the value of a business.
- Manages quality, costs and the efficiency of the organization.
- Reengineers processes to improve efficiency.
- Promotes a smooth delivery system for products and services going to clients.
- Oversees quality control.
- Supervises production.
- Handles purchasing and logistics.
- Manages the supply chain.
- Works to deliver excellent products and services at the lowest cost possible.
- Recommends process improvements for every day operating procedures.
- Provides support for the Director of Operations.
- Provides logistics support for training sessions and business conferences.
- Processes purchase orders.
- Ensures that corporate accounting policies and procedures are kept.
- Assists with financial reporting.
- Tracks expenditures to ensure the company does not go over budget.
- Assists with office administration duties.
- Trains business operations staff.
- Conducts operational research.
- Solves complex problems relating to the operation of the business.
- Stays up-to-date on software that is commonly used in the industry.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have superior computer skills.
- Must have excellent analytical skills.
- Must have good organizational skills.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Should possess strong tactical management skills.
- Must have excellent math skills.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills.
- Should possess superior interpersonal skills.
- Must have good leadership skills.
- Knowledgeable of general office procedures and bookkeeping processes.
- Must be able to work long hours under occasional stress.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma.
- Associates degree in Management, Business or a business-related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Operational Management, Business or related field.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration.
- Internships in a Business Operations department.
- Financial Operations Specialist certification.
- Experience working in Business Operations department.
- Time is spent in a climate controlled private office or shared office space.
- Must be able to work in a smoke-free environment.
- Must be able to work regular hours of Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm.
- Must be willing to travel to branch offices and possibly stay overnight out of town.
- Time is spent in front of a computer screen.
- Salaries range from $35,000 to $110,000 annually.
- Hourly wages range from $17 an hour to $53 an hour.