Beauty Advisor Job Description
A beauty advisor job description involves establishing long term relationships with customers and offering them personalized service pertinent to their specific skin and hair conditions. Beauty advisors often work in a retail store setting and are responsible for meeting product sales goals.
A beauty advisor analyzes a customer’s skin, offers skin care advice and sells cosmetics and beauty products to the customer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Beauty Advisor
- Possesses thorough knowledge of the particular products being sold and the cosmetic industry in general.
- Reads and understands information about new products being developed and emerging on the market.
- Attends workshops and seminars on new product lines.
- Identifies skin types and skin conditions and knows the best products for each one.
- Gives product demonstrations for customers.
- Performs makeovers on customers.
- Answers customers’ questions and makes nervous customers feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Helps customers find the products that best suit their skin and hair types.
- Sells customers as many appropriate products as possible.
- Asks customers about any skin allergies and makes them aware of any products they should avoid.
- Operates a cash register, credit card machine and computer.
- Meets or exceeds specified sales goals.
- Makes follow up phone calls to customers and verifies that they are satisfied with the products they purchased.
- Mails flyers or sends emails to customers to notify them of upcoming sales and special promotions.
- Orders new products when necessary.
- Stocks shelves and display counters.
- Manages the product inventory.
- Cleans cosmetic counters and floors.
- Produces sales reports for managers.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be well groomed with hair in place and make up skillfully applied.
- Wear appropriate clothing that is clean, pressed and in good condition.
- Have an outgoing personality.
- Have a strong interest in and understanding of the beauty product industry.
- Must be able to keep up with trends and new developments in the industry.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Must display self-confidence particularly when conducting demonstrations and performing makeovers.
- Must have a desire to work with the public.
- Must be patient with customers who have many questions.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Degree from cosmetology school, fashion program or art institute.
- Knowledge of beauty products especially particular lines of cosmetics.
- Experience in retail sales.
- Successfully complete the training program required by the employer.
- Expect to work in a retail store that is climate controlled and brightly lit.
- Moderate noise levels which can escalate during holidays and other busy times.
- Much of the day will be spent standing, walking back and forth behind cosmetic counters and bending to retrieve products from display counters and shelves.
- Fast paced environment, particularly at a popular retail store, with lines of customers waiting to be served.
- Work schedules require weekend and evening work as well as long hours during holidays and big sales.
- Salaries and commissions average between $12,000 and $46,000.