Bakery Clerk Job Description
A bakery clerk job description involves filling customers’ orders for cakes, breads and other baked goods. In large bakeries the clerk may only have time to assist customers, but in a smaller bakery the clerk may have time to assist the baker with tasks like measuring ingredients and mixing dough.
A bakery clerk is primarily responsible for working the cash register at a bakery, bagging baked goods, taking customers’ money and making change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Bakery Clerk
- Greets customers in a pleasant and helpful manner.
- Takes and fills bakery orders for customers.
- Answers customers’ questions about food ingredients, cake designs and other aspects of the baked goods.
- Applies ingredient tags and price tags to pre-baked foods.
- Operates cash registers and credit card machines when customers pay for their bakery items.
- Arranges cakes, pies, muffins, rolls and other baked goods in an attractive manner in the display cases and on shelves and counters.
- Makes certain that displays are filled with products and not low on merchandise or empty.
- Ensures displayed baked goods are fresh, and removes any that could have become stale after a period of time.
- Verifies that customers who have communicated food allergies are not sold products that could be dangerous to their health.
- Keeps work areas sanitary by mopping floors and wiping counters to immediately clean up any spills.
- Assists bakers with measuring ingredients, mixing dough, pouring batter and other basic duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability~
- Must be able to complete customer order forms completely and file each one properly so that every order is filled on time.
- Must have the dexterity and technical ability necessary to operate a cash register, credit card machine, computer and pricing gun.
- Must have the upper body strength needed to lift large, heavy cakes and other baked goods as well as open and close heavy freezer and oven doors.
- Must be able to endure long hours of standing, walking around behind counters and bending to retrieve baked goods from display counters.
- Must have good communication skills and be willing to work with the general public.
- Must be patient with customers who are dissatisfied and understand when it is necessary to request assistance from a supervisor.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Good reading and math skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and legible writing.
- Previous experience working in a bakery or other type of food service job.
- Most of the time will be spent standing on hard cement or tile floors.
- At times floors may be wet; therefore athletic shoes with good traction are recommended.
- May be exposed to extremes in temperatures when going in and out of large freezers or opening and closing commercial oven doors.
- Will be occasionally necessary to deal with long lines of customers and to work overtime.
- Starting salaries are in the $20,000 to $24,000 range.
- Salaries for experienced individuals working in busier bakeries in large cities average $30,000 to $33,000.