The job description of a courtesy clerk can vary depending on the size and type of store. Most such clerks work in grocery stores or other retail establishments where they assist customers.
A courtesy clerk is an entry level position in which the employee performs simple tasks like bagging merchandise and assisting customers in locating items.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Courtesy Clerk
- Greets customers as they enter the store and as they leave.
- Bags items for customers.
- Assists customers with taking purchased items to their vehicles.
- Collects shopping carts from parking lots and returns them to the store.
- Picks up litter around the parking lot and store.
- Sweeps and mops floors, cleans bathrooms and tidies and dusts shelves.
- Returns misplaced items to their proper locations.
- Cleans up spills.
- Helps unpack boxes when new shipments arrive.
- Processes special orders for items that are currently out of stock.
- Puts price tags or stickers on items.
- Carries out price checks for cashiers or customers.
- Displays sales signs on selected shelves or racks.
- Assists customers in locating items.
- Makes deliveries to customers’ homes.
- Answers customers’ questions on the phone and in person.
- Ensures that a manager is alerted when the customer’s needs are beyond the scope of the clerk’s authority.
- Restocks shelves with new products.
- Helps in conducting an inventory.
- Updates the stores various databases.
- Answers main phone line and transfers calls to the appropriate person or department.
- Orders some supplies.
- Assists in training newly hired courtesy clerks.
- Processes customer returns, repackages and returns to shelves.
- Fills in when an extra cashier is needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Has the ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Possesses the ability to lift heavy boxes and bags.
- Demonstrates strong math skills.
- Displays excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Has good interpersonal skills.
- Possesses strong reading comprehension skills and has the ability to competently follow instructions.
- Demonstrates good problem solving skills and is able to multi-task effectively.
- Has knowledge of safe food handling procedures.
- Pays attention to detail and has good listening skills.
- Uses various types of equipment to handle merchandise.
- Learns and remembers company policies for interacting with customers in various scenarios.
Education and Experience
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- High school diploma or current high school student.
- Possess a valid driver’s license to make deliveries and have no moving traffic violations.
- Participate in and complete the company training program.
- Pass criminal background check and drug test.
- Does shift work depending on store hours; however, most managers will schedule employees around class times at school.
- Lifts boxes and bags of 25 to 30 pounds.
- Spends many hours standing and walking on cement or tile floors.
- Works mostly in a climate controlled store, but may have to go outside periodically in heat, cold, rain or snow to assist customers to their vehicles and retrieve shopping carts.
- Courtesy clerk’s salaries range from $8 to $12 an hour depending on the store and the clerk’s previous experience.
- Yearly salaries for courtesy clerk’s average $23,000 per year.