Data Manager Job Description
The job description of a data manager calls for an individual who is highly detail oriented in order for a company to obtain the right information to assist in building and maintaining a strong customer base. The data manager must coordinate the collection and analysis of data with the company’s management strategy and policies.
A data manager uses the information that has been compiled and analyzed to assist a company in implementing its strategic business plan and ensures that all employees know how to access and use the collected data as it is intended.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Data Manager
- Determines data that needs to be collected and resources to be used.
- Organizes, implements and enforces correct data collection policies and procedures.
- Trains employees on proper data collection methods, tools and equipment.
- Establishes data collection quality standards and ensures they are met.
- Manages contracts with all software vendors associated with data collection and management.
- Ensures that software functions properly at all times and data management system is operating correctly.
- Troubleshoots for solutions in all data-related problem areas.
- Makes sure all software updates are installed and implemented and staff is trained on proper application.
- Documents procedures for data management processes.
- Develops methodologies for data collection and evaluation relevant to each project.
- Performs analysis to determine adequacy of data collection and evaluation processes.
- Ensures data management system is compliant with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Evaluates data management system to improve operational procedures.
- Prepares regular reports to be distributed throughout various departments in the company.
- Develops special reports upon request.
- Performs presentations at meetings and conferences.
- Participates in regional, state and national meetings related to data management.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates exceptional technological skills and research abilities.
- Has extensive knowledge of data management software.
- Possesses excellent mathematical abilities and organizational skills.
- Displays strong management and leadership skills.
- Exhibits superior presentation skills and ability to explain complex processes to others.
- Demonstrates excellent analytical and critical thinking skills and pays close attention to detail.
- Has knowledge of terminology relevant to the industry.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and well as superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Shows a working knowledge of standard business practices commonly accepted in the industry.
- Demonstrates the ability to be self-motivated and accomplish job tasks with little to no supervision.
- Displays superior customer service skills.
Education and Experience
- Associate’s degree in business.
- Bachelor’s degree in data analysis or management.
- Master’s degree in business management or statistics.
- Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) designation earned through the Data Management International program.
- Works regular hours of 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. Monday through Friday and works longer hours to meet project deadlines.
- Spends hours looking at computer screens, keyboarding and manipulating computer mouse.
- Reviews pages of analytical reports on a regular basis.
- Participates in meetings to explain data to management and employees in various departments.
- The salary of a data manager ranges from $40,000 to $120,000 depending on the size of the company, the manager’s level of education and experience and the complexity of the job responsibilities.