A quality assurance manager works in the retail, healthcare, manufacturing, or software development industry, and is responsible for ensuring that all company products and services are up to quality standards. The job description of a quality assurance manager involves hiring and training employees, setting up quality control guidelines, and inspecting all products.
A quality assurance manager creates guidelines for measuring quality control, oversees the analysis and inspection of products and services, and recalls any low-quality items.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Quality Assurance Manager
- Assists in recruiting and hiring company employees.
- Trains new employees.
- Uses consistent training tactics to ensure all employees are working towards the same production goals.
- Monitors employee progress and conducts performance reviews.
- Assists in disciplining or terminating employees who do not work to company standards.
- Consults with company managers to determine production goals and product standards.
- Creates a system of measurement to gauge product and service quality.
- Uses standardized system of measurement to analyze company products and output.
- Inspects all products for defective parts or details of substandard quality.
- Recalls any malfunctioning or substandard products.
- Oversees daily work procedures to ensure that all processes are in compliance with company codes and legal standards.
- Delegates tasks to quality control assessment team.
- Ensures that all safety procedures are followed during production.
- Meets with legal team to address any recalls or hazardous products that may threaten the company standing.
- Writes up reports detailing process of quality control and results of product inspection.
- Devises ways to improve products standards efficiently.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills.
- Manages time efficiently.
- Exhibits ability to multitask effectively.
- Is familiar with basic word processing software and range of Microsoft Suite programs.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills.
- Exhibits broad knowledge of company’s mission and production goals.
- Demonstrates knowledge of legal guidelines and requirements for daily production.
- Exhibits awareness of proper safety procedures in the workplace.
- Demonstrates ability to think creatively.
- Possesses strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Works well with a team.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field is required.
- MBA is strongly preferred.
- Previous work experience in quality control or specific job sector of employment is required.
- Time will be spent in an office setting devising measurement guidelines and analyzing company output.
- Time will also be spent on the sales floor or job site overseeing employees and production practices.
- Standard 40-hour workweek applies.
- Light physical activity is required on a daily basis.
- Some local travel to visit satellite offices or locations may be required.
- The average salary for a quality assurance manager is approximately $70,000 per year.
- Salaries range from $50,000-$90,000 per year depending on experience, educational level, and company profile.