A bridal consultant description involves helping a couple plan a wedding. Also known as a wedding planner, the consultant has a wide array of responsibilities related to the process of planning a wedding.
A bridal consultant performs tasks that help a couple turn their wedding vision into a reality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Bridal Consultant
- Helps the couple find an appropriate venue for the wedding.
- Assists in organizing a guest list.
- Recommends and helps book a band or other entertainment.
- Assists in the selection of a caterer and reception menu.
- Recommends and helps select a florist.
- Makes recommendations associated with decorations as well as the layout of the wedding and reception area.
- Helps with the organization of the rehearsal dinner, bridesmaid teas and other parties.
- Keeps the couple on track in regards to the budget and informs them if they are going over budget.
- Keeps the couple informed of the progress of the wedding planning.
- Obtains a signed contract from the couple for consultant services.
- Reviews vendor contracts before the signs them.
- Organizes a wedding day timeline and keeps the events on track.
- Coordinates the arrival of the various vendor, such as florists and caterers with the venue management.
- Informs the couple about current wedding trends.
- Makes sure all venue d?cor matches wedding colors.
- Assists with selecting invitations and having them mailed on time.
- Assists in the selection of bridesmaids’ dresses, groomsmen’s attire, groom’s tuxedo and bridal gown.
- Suggests gifts or favors for the bridal party.
- Helps design tables, lighting and other aesthetic details.
- Makes suggestions for music selections and musicians.
- Makes sure the wedding party is in the right place at the right time.
- Directs the wedding rehearsal.
- Directs the wedding.
- Deals effectively with unruly guests or “wedding crashers.”
- Ensures that the venue is left clean and in good condition.
- Collects wedding gifts or personal items left at the venue and makes sure they get to the couple.
- Returns all rental items after the wedding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must have superior organizational skills.
- Must be extremely detailed oriented.
- Must be able to remain calm under pressure and in highly stressful situations.
- Must be an effective time manager.
- Must be good at multi-tasking.
- Must be an active listener.
- Must have good critical thinking skills.
- Must have excellent decision making abilities.
- Must have good computer and math skills.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma.
- Event planning classes.
- Registered Bridal Consultant designation.
- Previous work experience with an event planning company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Advertising or Business.
- Experience in retail sales.
- On the job training.
- Membership in National Association of Wedding Planners.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be willing to work long and odd hours.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Time is spent mostly in smoke-free environments.
- Average salaries range from $30,000 to $40,000.
- Salaries for business owners or high end bridal consultants can exceed $100,000.