Sandwich Artist Job Description
A sandwich artist interacts directly with customers at a deli or restaurant in order to create a sandwich that is especially to their liking. The job description of a sandwich artist involves good interpersonal skills and a love of making a delightful presentation out of ordinary food.
A sandwich artist creates one-of-a-kind sandwiches, wraps and salads from a list of preselected breads, meats, cheeses and toppings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Sandwich Artist
- Greets customers and takes their orders
- Explains menu options in order to help customers make a selection
- Cuts freshly-baked loaves of bread into sandwich-sized portions
- Creates a sandwich using precisely the right meats, cheeses, and vegetable toppings
- Wraps sandwiches appropriately for eat-in or carryout meals as appropriate
- Stocks toppings, meats and condiments so they are readily available when needed
- Cuts and preps vegetables such as lettuce, tomato, onion and peppers for placement on sandwiches
- Keeps the work area and any utensils needed clean
- Manages food products in order to reduce waste
- Washes dishes
- Operates cash register and makes change as needed
- Inventories and rotates stock
- Assists with unloading trucks full of merchandise whenever they arrive at the store
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Cares about customer service
- Able to put sandwiches together quickly while still keeping them neat
- Listens and follows instructions carefully
- Willing to be flexible enough to accommodate the wishes of all customers
- Knows the basics of food sanitation and hygiene
- Is able to make basic math calculations quickly and easily
- Capable of following basic recipes
Education and Experience
Workers can obtain a job as a sandwich artist with only a high school diploma or GED; high school students often find work in this career field as well. Although not required, culinary courses can be helpful to those seeking work in high-end establishments. On-the-job training is typically required no matter what business a sandwich artist finds employment in. Ongoing training in food safety and sanitation are normally required once or twice each year.
Most duties performed by a sandwich artist are done while standing on hard surfaces. These individuals may work anywhere from two to twelve hours in a typical day, with only short break periods for meals given throughout. They may be exposed to heat from ovens or grilling equipment and cold from refrigerators and freezers. Work may be performed during the day, at night, or on the weekends. Sandwich artists may work either full or part time, and may sometimes be called to work on very short notice.
The salary of a sandwich artist depends on the type of establishment and the amount of experience one has. Many positions begin at around $7.25 per hour, and may increase to between $9.00 and $10.00 after time. Those who work for fast food restaurants tend to make less than those who work at family-owned delicatessens or catering services do.