A cable installer job description applies to technicians who are both hired by telecommunications companies or subcontracted. The installer works a daily service route that can include both residential and commercial assignments.
A cable installer performs work on cable televisions, telephones, high speed internet connections and other data installations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Cable Installer
- Installs new cable technologies in homes or companies.
- Performs service upgrades or downgrades according to customer preferences.
- Performs service disconnections due to non-payment for services.
- Explains to customers how to use cable equipment after installation is complete.
- Handles antennas, satellite dishes and complex wiring systems.
- Takes the proper equipment to every job to be prepared for any problem.
- Stays up-do-date on technology changes and upgrades and learns new software programs.
- Checks gauges, dials and other indicators to determine whether or not equipment is working properly.
- Conducts tests and inspections of equipment to make sure it is meeting proper standards.
- Troubleshooting operating problems and determining a course of action for repairs.
- Repairs faulty equipment.
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment.
- Analyzes systems to determine if there have been changes in the environment, operations or conditions that affect equipment function.
- Observes all safety precautions when installing or repairing equipment.
- Works with circuits and fiber optics.
- Measures signal quality and modem connections.
- Performs work on trunk lines which are the main lines for an entire service area.
- Cleans and maintains testing equipment and tools.
- Splices cables when necessary.
- Keeps electronics certifications current.
- Takes continuing education courses to learn new technologies.
- Mentors newly hired cable installers.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have excellent problem solving skills.
- Must be able to visually distinguish colors.
- Must have superior dexterity and hand eye coordination.
- Must be mechanically inclined.
- Must have strong customer service skills.
- Basic bookkeeping skills are a plus.
- Must have good computer skills.
- Must have good math skills.
- Excellent time management skills are essential.
- Must have good analytical skills.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Good reading comprehension skills are helpful.
- Should have knowledge of AC and DC circuits.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Should complete Cable company’s in-house training program.
- Internship with a cable company.
- Must memorize basic information pertaining to telephones, cable televisions and data installation.
- Associates degree in Electronics, Computer Science or a related field.
- Certificate in Electronics Repair from a Technical School.
- Certification from Electronics Technicians Association.
- Certification from Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers.
- Must be able to work normal hours of 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday.
- Must be available to work late on days that are unusually busy.
- Time is spent driving a cable companytruck from one location to another.
- Must work in private homes or at places of businesses.
- Must be able to work in tight spaces, crawl spaces, at high elevations like telephone poles and other hazardous conditions.
- Time is spent in electronic service centers and climate controlled offices.
- Salaries range from $28,000 to $58,000 per year.
- Hourly wages range from $11 an hour to $18 an hour.