The chief creative officer is responsible for managing and directing the creative team and their output. A chief creative officer job description will contain a number of the skills and responsibilities related to the proper cultivation and development of an overall creative direction for the company.
A chief creative officer works with and supervises the members of the creative team, including those responsible for branding, marketing, design, media outreach, and message development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Chief Creative Officer
- Works with the Chief Executive Officer to develop cohesive and productive goals for the company and designs ways to meet them.
- Transforms rough ideas and general concepts into actions, projects, and completed products or messages.
- Leads the creative team and directs project completion in line with company goals.
- Develops design concepts that further the company’s brand identity.
- Inspires the creative team to more advanced and better work using brainstorming sessions, team meetings, and other strategic tools.
- Formulates short and long term creative goals and strategies for achieving them.
- Maintains consistency over the quality and message of the creative team’s output.
- Evaluates the current status of the industry and the market to ensure delivery of relevant and useful products, messages, or branding.
- Anticipates the future direction of the industry using both research and own insight, and brings the company into the fore of that trajectory.
- Assigns tasks to creative team and supervises their timely completion.
- Monitors creative budget, making sure all projects are delivered within the projected parameters.
- Enforces deadlines and maintains efficiency in the creative department.
- Coordinates with vendors for timely delivery of goods.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must possess a strong working knowledge of project management, design and brand development, and marketing.
- Must be familiar with a variety of branding and marketing strategies.
- Must know how to nurture and adapt an existing brand to suit changing circumstances within the company and the industry.
- Must be incredibly self-motivated and innovative.
- Must be creative with a unique approach to persistent problems, adding value to existing products and deriving positives from negatives.
- Must be able to take charge of any situation, exerting a dominant vision and encouraging others to support that vision.
- Must have exceptional communication skills and be able to bridge the gap between the business and creative sides of the company.
- Must be able to multitask and manage a number of different projects at once.
- Must be able to translate ideas into actionable projects.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, graphic design, marketing, communications or visual design.
- Experience or coursework in business and management a plus.
- Must have at least three years’ experience in the company’s industry, preferably in a leadership or management role.
- Time will be spent in corporate offices and meeting rooms working with a variety of different teams.
- Must be willing to work long hours, often outside the normal business day in order to complete projects on time.
- Starting salary upwards of $80,000 a year.
- Median yearly salary between $95,000 and $100,000.