In today’s complex marketplace, there is more to a chief marketing officer job description than just maximizing sales. The individual that holds the position is also responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction, maintaining customers, promotions, media relations, web and electronic services and public relations.
The chief marketing officer typically reports directly to the vice president of operations or the chief operations officer and oversees all sales and customer service programs as well as any efforts to publicize and promote the products and services that a company sells.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Chief Marketing Officer
- Oversees a company’s media relations including social media and all methods of advertising.
- Supervises a company’s market research, community relations and customer service.
- Runs trade show exhibits and free educational sessions provided to the community.
- Handles all printed promotions like brochures and electronic promotions like websites.
- Demonstrates a continual track record of success from month to month and year to year.
- Manages budgets across multiple departments.
- Sets up business processes and metrics.
- Drives daily execution and enhancement of the company’s overall marketing strategy.
- Analyzes the competition and reviews results of market research adjusting the company’s marketing strategy accordingly.
- Advises the product development department based on results of market research.
- Provides support in the design and production of visual marketing tools.
- Obtains customer feedback regarding products and services and funnels the information to the appropriate departments so that adjustments can be made in product and service offerings.
- Participates in research to look for new product ideas and ways to grow business.
- Manages the company website and constantly updates information provided on the site to serve customers as well as staff.
- Communicates with industry experts and leverages their knowledge for the company’s benefit.
- Handles corporate communications to deliver a brand-consistent message.
- Develops new business relationships and strengthens existing ones.
- Heightens awareness of the company in the community and marketplace.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Has extensive knowledge of marketing principles.
- Understands changing market dynamics and prepares the company by developing and implementing strategies to meet the changes in the marketplace.
- Displays excellent project management abilities.
- Possesses exceptional verbal and written communication skills as well as strong presentation abilities.
- Has the ability to motivate and inspire sales and marketing staff.
- Adjusts to change smoothly and rapidly.
- Exhibits superior organizational skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Has strong interpersonal skills as well as negotiation and persuasion abilities.
- Possesses excellent time management skills and the ability to multi-task effectively.
- Shows strong leadership skills.
- Has the ability to network and leverage contacts effectively.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, journalism, business or a related field.
- Master’s degree in business administration.
- Experience in sales management, marketing and business development.
- Works normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, although may work into the evenings, on weekends and may even take work home when facing deadlines or formulating new marketing strategies to launch in a specific timeframe.
- Travels to satellite offices and client sites.
- Spends time in meetings with leaders, managers and supervisors of departments that fall under the marketing umbrella.
- Works in a climate controlled private office space and spends a great deal of time looking at a computer screen reviewing reports, research and other data.
- A chief marketing officer can earn between $85,000 and $250,000 or more each year depending on the size of the company and the success of the marketing efforts.