A head cashier takes on the primary cashiering responsibilities at a retail location, processing register transactions and providing customer service. The job description of a head cashier requires excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and a dedication to customer satisfaction.
A head cashier welcomes customers into the store,handles customer purchases, assists in selling promotional items, addresses and resolves customer inquiries and problems, and trains junior cashiers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Head Cashier
- Greets customers as they enter the store.
- Assists customers in locating items.
- Refers customers to sales associates as necessary.
- Processes register transactions.
- Processes refunds and returns.
- Activates gift cards.
- Signs customers up for loyalty reward programs.
- Addresses customer questions and complaints.
- Reports complaints and problems to store manager, and refers customers to manager when needed.
- Counts out register drawer at end of shift.
- Promotes new store products.
- Assists sales associates in closing sales.
- Trains new cashiers.
- Oversees activity of junior cashiers to ensure that they are working up to store expectations.
- Ensures that all register drawers are balanced at the end of a shift.
- Replaces register tape and replenishes register cash supply as needed.
- Keeps front end of store clean and organized.
- Restocks, replaces, and organizes items on the sales floor.
- Pulls defective or expired items from shelves.
- Accepts and signs for store deliveries.
- Prepares bank deposit envelopes and stores daily profits in company safe.
- Assists in cleaning store during closing shifts.
- Answers store phone and provides information or transfers callers accordingly.
- Takes note of suspicious behavior of customers or employees and reports this to managers as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Possesses ability to converse with customers and ensure they have a positive check-out experience.
- Is comfortable handling and counting money.
- Exhibits ability to properly use a cash register.
- Maintains friendly and welcoming demeanor.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills.
- Possesses persuasive skills necessary to help close sales and promote items.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Is able to remain calm and patient when working with upset or dissatisfied customers.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Demonstrates solid organizational skills.
- Possesses physical stamina required to stay on feet for an entire shift.
- Manages time efficiently.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task effectively.
- Possesses knowledge of company goals and mission.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Previous work experience in retail sector required.
- Company-specific training required prior to start date.
- The majority of time will be spent at the register on the sales floor.
- Time will also be spent in the store office counting out register drawers.
- Standing and walking will be required for the majority of the shift.
- The standard 40-hour workweek applies.
- The average salary for a head cashier is $30,000 per year.
- Salaries for the most experienced and established head cashiers may reach $35,000 per year.