An application letter should be included when you send in a resume to a potential employer. Also known as a cover letter, this document is meant to highlight your skills and qualifications in a brief manner, and also to help answer any questions an employer may have about your resume beforehand.
Below is a brief outline of the steps involved in writing an application letter.
1. Follow instructions. If you are responding to a job ad, read the company’s qualifications and follow instructions in preparing your application letter.
2. Include your address. If you do not have letterhead stationery, place your name, address and contact information at the top left-hand side of the page. Space down twice, then place the date at the left-hand margin. Skip down 2 to 4 lines, and include the name and address of the company at the left-hand margin.
3. Begin with a short but strong statement about why you are the ideal candidate for the job; make it clear which position you are applying for.
4. Explain further why you are a good candidate. In the second paragraph, briefly detail some of the jobs or experiences that make you the right person for the job, targeting the specific position you are applying for.
5. Closing your application letter. In the last two sentences, invite the employer to see your resume for complete information; follow by telling the employer when you can be reached, and at what email address or phone number. Thank them for taking the time to read your letter and for their consideration.
6. Close and proofread. A simple “Sincerely”, “Thank You” or “Best Regards” followed by your first and last names are proper for closing your application letter.
Sample Application Letter
Your name and address
City, State and Zip
Date – Month, Day, Year
Mr. John Smith
City, State and Zip
Dear Mr. Smith,
I am writing to apply for the public relations position recently advertised in the West Times Chronicle. Go on to write that you have enclosed your resume, and what qualifications or skills make you the perfect job candidate. Highlight your words with action words to demonstrate your enthusiasm.
Expand a bit further on your work background, particularly in areas that make you a suitable candidate for this particular job. Include briefly any education or training that pertains to the position for which you are applying. Make a short bulleted list of your key strengths:
• Exceptional people skills
• Great communicator
Invite the reader to read your resume, and then explain where and when you can be reached, followed by your sincere thanks for their time and consideration. Let them know that you look forward to speaking with them about the opportunity soon.
Always proofread your work thoroughly in order to catch any spelling or grammar errors before sending your application letter. By writing a compelling, brief application letter that highlights those qualities that make you the ideal job candidate, the employer will be interested in taking a close look at your resume.