An accounting assistant is an individual who provides financial services to a business or organization in conjunction with other assistants or under the supervision of a staff accountant. While not a full accountant, this position does require a good amount of financial skill and software knowledge. While a few candidates can get away with only having a high school diploma, most individuals in this field have a minimum of an associate’s degree.
Your accounting assistant resume should showcase a mix of technical skills and communication abilities. Areas such as mathematics, finance, and business administration are extremely valuable. Communication abilities, recordkeeping skills, and attention to detail are also important traits. The candidates in the three accounting assistant resume format selections provided here all have those skills and use their resume to highlight their greatest strengths.
The accounting assistant career path is one which allows good opportunities for entry-level candidates. However, employers will usually go for somebody with more experience unless you can emphasize your self-motivation, your high level of organization, and your overall accounting skills. The accounting assistant resume example provided below demonstrates how you can effectively design an entry-level resume that will compete well with more experienced candidates.
| Manon St. Marie |
93 Kingston Street
Havre de Grace, MD 21078
Home: (410) 164-4413
Cell: (410) 120-5230
|DETAIL-ORIENTED ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT|
|Highly motivated accounting assistant candidate with excellent mathematical skills and intuitive reasoning. Capable of analyzing complex situations and finding unorthodox solutions to complex problems. Highly skilled in communications and recordkeeping. Positive and professional at all times.|
|MARYLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Annapolis, MD|
Associate of Applied Science in Accounting, 2014
- Financial Management
- Tax Law
|KEY SKILLS |
|Office Skills |
- Financial accounting
- Tax law
- Attention to detail
Mid-Level Professional Resume
Accounting assistants who have earned a position or two and acquired some years of experience become extremely valuable to potential employers, especially if it’s clear that the training time for such a candidate will be greatly reduced. If you have a wide array of professional or technical skills, it’s best to highlight those first, as demonstrated on the accounting assistant resume sample provided below.
|Damien Rider |
|31 Wayne Street â€“ Havre de Grace, MD 21078 â€“ (410) 141-4130 â€“ [email]|
Excellent financial knowledge and tax preparation skills.
- Experienced accounting assistant with knowledge of tax law and account details.
- Excellent organization and recordkeeping abilities.
- Strong multitasking skills and ability to handle high-pressure situations.
- Highly proficient in communications to professionals and lay individuals.
| Financial assistance: Provide assistance with budgets, tax codes, and other financial matters, reporting to an accounting manager.|
| Budget creation:Develop budget details and track expenditures, ensuring that all money spent is properly accounted for and that all details are correct.|
| Recordkeeping: Maintain detailed financial records, ensure the safety of private information, and make sure all records are effectively organized.|
|Rupert Financial Services (Havre de Grace, MD)|
Accounting Assistant, 12/2012-Present
|Provide accounting services and financial management for a tax preparation and budgetary assistance agency. Communicate with clients regarding accounting details, help remain on budget, and ensure that tax documents are properly prepared. Maintain detailed financial records in both hard copy and electronic format.|
Experienced Professional Resume
Accounting assistants with a long job history face the challenge of being able to showcase their accounting skills while also making sure that employers don’t think they are planning to run to another, higher-paying job. The best way to avoid this problem is to make sure that your accounting assistant resume has your professional goals clearly outlined. For example, the accounting assistant sample resume provided below leads with a professional summary before moving on to skills and work history.
|Robert Paulsen |
|(555)-555-5555 | 93 Killington Drive | Havre de Grace, MD 21078 | [email]|
|Detail-oriented accounting assistant with excellent communication abilities.|
|In-depth knowledge of financial procedures, excellent accounting skills, and terrific financial management capabilities. Ability to perform well under pressure and meet tight time requirements while still turning in an accurate and effective performance.|
|Tax preparation â€“ Accounting procedures â€“ Financial assistance â€“ Financial bookkeeping â€“ Recordkeeping â€“ Attention to|
detail â€“ Adaptation of new procedures â€“ Organization â€“ Microsoft Office Suite â€“ Spreadsheet data â€“ Client
|Professional Experience |
|UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND â€“ Annapolis, MD|| 2009-Present|
|Providing important accounting assistance and financial assistance to a large state university.|
| Process financial information quickly and under tight deadlines. Ensure conformation to all tax laws and financial requirements. Provide detailed financial guidance and assistance to other offices|
- Process diverse financial data from many different academic offices.
- Serve as part of a larger accounting team that functions as the financial nerve center of the university.
- Balance budgets and report on financial details.
- Manage financial spreadsheets and process complex information.
- Provide guidance to other offices about new financial policies and procedures.
- Process grant applications and budget reports.
- Provide office administrative services as needed.
| SAMSON ACCOUNTING SERVICES â€“ Havre de Grace, MD|| 2007-2009|
|Functioned as part of a highly efficient accounting team. |
Offered financial services as part of a small but effective accounting team. Coordinate with other accounting assistants in delivering the best service possible. Prepared tax information and budgetary analyses.
- Provided detailed accounting reports for administrators and clients.
- Helped to coordinate team activities and ensure that efficient accounting services were provided at all times.
- Communicated complex financial data to clients.
- Prepared tax documents for individuals and businesses.
- Developed new financial procedures that improved efficiency.
- Performed accounting training for new employees.
- Handled office administrative and reception duties as required.
| SAMSON ACCOUNTING SERVICES â€“ Havre de Grace, MD|| 2007|
|Provided office administration and financial assistance to staff and clients.|
|Maintained the reception area, provided office administration, and assisted in the development of accounting reports. Managed office budgets, ordered supplies, and assisted in employee training. Provided excellent verbal and written communication.|
- Served as primary office assistant and customer receptionist.
- Provided detailed breakdowns of office activities and reported to office administrator.
- Assisted accounting team in the development of financial reports and recordkeeping.
- Communicated with customers and clients.
- Maintained calendars and provided excellent time management.
|Bachelor of Science in Accounting, 2007|
University of Maryland
GPA: 3.5 on a 4.0 scale