A dental assistant’s role is very important to the success of any dental practice as these individuals possess a broad range of skills designed to provide support. They not only assist the dentist chairside during various procedures, but they also play an administrative role in terms of answering phones, scheduling appointments, and handling billing through patients as well as insurance companies.
The dental assistant resume format can take on many forms. Since there are no educational requirements in some states outside of a high school diploma or a GED, it is important to focus on inherent skills. In other states, a certificate from an accredited program is required, so it is necessary to include this information. Below, you will find three different examples of a dental assistant resume with one provided for each step in a successful career.
Entry Level Resume
The dental assistant resume example below was written by Deborah Meek, a candidate just out of high school who is interested in an entry level position with a small practice in Indianapolis. Because she has very limited work experience, she has focused on her strengths, such as a firm understanding of computers and fantastic chairside manner.
| Deborah Meek |
754 Landing Park Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46201
(317) 215-5514, [email]
|Highly motivated dental assistant seeking a challenging yet rewarding opportunity to further my career with a popular dental practice requiring outstanding organizational skills and the desire to improve patient care from both clinical and clerical standpoints.|
|George Washington High School |
High School Diploma, 2014
Grade Average: B
Class President, 2013-2014
- Computer Science
|Indiana Department of Health Medical Radiology Services|
Limited Dental Radiographic License obtained November 2014
|MAJOR STRENGTHS |
- Friendly and welcoming disposition
- Ability to multitask in both clinical and clerical settings
- Outstanding communications skills with patients and insurance companies
- Can carry out complex tasks with limited supervision
|TECHNICAL SKILLS |
- Microsoft Office program suite
- Strong mathematical and English skills
- Fluent Spanish
- Knowledge of all dental instruments and technologies
|Robert Walker, DDS 09/2014 to 11/2014|
Eight-week clerkship shadowing an experienced dental assistant.
Mid-Level Professional Resume
As a mid-level dental assistant, you should be able to list two different jobs as well as your technical expertise and your competencies. Below is a dental assistant resume sample written by Jonathan Englert, a candidate who has been working in the field for about four years. He starts off by listing the qualities that are most important to his potential employer and then describes his successes in his work experience.
|Jonathan Englert |
|127 Lacey Drive â€¢ Phoenix, AZ 85001 â€¢ (602) 956-1542 â€¢ [email]|
|PERFORMANCE SUMMARY:Dental assistant with four years of experience seeking an opportunity to further my career with a fast-paced, high-energy practice in the Phoenix area. Able to provide outstanding organization, a fantastic chairside manner, and motivation to staff members.|
- Understanding of MS Word and Excel
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to follow detailed instructions
- Ability to multitask and manage time well
- Can anticipate the needs of the dentist and the patient while chairside
- Friendly and welcoming personality to make patients feel more secure
- Earned Employee of the Month in December 2014
- Assisted in training two new staff members in 2014
- Assisted in the implementation of a new recordkeeping system for previous employer in 2012
| PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE |
|Jennifer Butler, DDS â€“ Phoenix, AZ|
Dental Assistant, 8/2012-Present
- Serve as primary point of office contact for patients, vendors and others.
- Sit chairside for numerous procedures and work directly with patients to comfort them.
- Maintain records and keep personal information confidential at all times.
- Assisted with changes in insurance provider acceptance in 2011.
|James and Donald Dentistry â€“ Phoenix, AZ|
- Performed mainly clerical skills but sat chairside for the purpose of learning about instruments and procedures.
- Greeted patients as they entered the office and assisted them with insurance claims and billing.
- Answered telephones, entered data into computer systems, and filed paperwork as needed.
- Assisted in the cleaning of the dental office, including the sterilization of tools.
- Successfully implemented a more efficient filing system for patient records in April 2012.
Experienced Professional Resume
As an experienced professional in the field, you will need to provide seven to ten years of experience on your dental assistant resume. Here, it is important to provide any additional training you have received, whether this is a dental assisting certificate renewal, workshops you have attended, or even clerkships in which you participated. In the dental assistant sample resume below, Michelle Faust has eight years of experience with the same practice. Despite this, her core competencies, such as time management skills and chairside manner, still remain an important focus.
|Michelle Faust |
|9845 West 8th Street|
Portland, OR 97201
| Phone: 503/315-6424|
High-Energy Candidate Looking to Succeed
|Dental assistant with eight years of experience in a medium-sized practice looking to expand her career with new challenges. Seeking opportunities to advance while demonstrating proficiencies in dental office management, patient care, and the ability to anticipate the needs of the doctor and the patients. Core competencies include:|
- Computer knowledge
- Time management
- Business phone etiquette
- Operation of x-ray machines
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Outstanding chairside manner
- Attention to detail
- Record organization
- Microsoft Office suite
- Cleaning/sterilization procedures
|Rogers and Rogers, DDS â€“ Portland, OR||9/2010-Present|
|DENTAL ASSISTANT |
|Offer top-notch clinical and clerical support for a busy two-dentist practice in the Portland area. Served as interim office manager during secretary’s maternity leave (8/2010 â€“ 12/2010). Scheduled, hired and trained new dental assistants and office staff during this time.|
- Successfully maintained and improved upon the clerical aspect of the practice over the course of employment.
- Was honored as Employee of the Year in 2011.
- Trained entry-level dental assistants in practice-specific procedures.
|Chestnut Dental Pavilion â€“ Portland, OR|| 3/2007 â€“ 9/2010|
|Worked with Dr. Andrew Chestnut to greet patients, schedule appointments, keep work area clean, and sit chairside during procedures. Assisted in the rollout of new software systems throughout the practice in 2009. Maintained patient records and worked directly with patients to address billing questions and health concerns.|
|Selected Results: |
- Attended the Portland Dental Workshop annually each year with other dental assistants from the practice.
- Successfully completed expanded function certificates in orthodontics and restorative care during employment with Dr. Chestnut.
|Robinson Dentistry â€“ Portland, OR ||2/2005 â€“ 3/2007|
| DENTAL ASSISTANT|
|Performed mainly clerical tasks for Dr. Leslie Robinson. Sat chairside during procedures to provide suction and access to tools. Responsible for patient scheduling, recordkeeping, and office organization. Worked with patients directly to discuss billing issues and contacted insurance companies when required.|
|Selected Results: |
- Assisted in developing a cleaning routine for the office so that everyone did his or her part.
- Worked to help redesign procedures for greeting patients and making them feel more welcomed.
- Was commended for my ability to build rapport with patients.
- Letter of Recommendation from Dr. Robinson available on request.
|EDUCATION and TRAINING|
|High School Diploma|
Westminster High School â€“ Portland, OR
Certificate of Radiological Proficiency from State of Oregon and DANB
Expanded Function Dental Assistant with Restorative Functions Certificate (EFDA)
Expanded Function Orthodontic Dental Assistant Certificate (EFODA)
High School Diploma
St. Walters Academy â€“ Goddard, WI