A legal assistant renders service to attorneys such as gathering case information, administering legal research and outlining documents. Legal assistants play a crucial role in filing papers with the courts accordingly in order to put together a model of the legal documents. An individual seeking a career in this field should possess strong verbal and written communication skills, should be well-organized, and have the ability to conduct and execute research projects efficiently.
To be considered for this position, a legal assistant resume should outline fundamental qualifications including education and training in legal matters. A college degree of some level is generally required or at least certification in the field of paralegal studies. To get an idea of a suitable resume that meets the necessary criteria for this type of career there are three legal assistant resume format choices below presenting acceptable prerequisites at each level of experience.
Legal assistants at the entry-level are usually recent graduates with an Associate’s or even a Bachelor’s degree in related studies. Work experience in the field may be limited to internship or on the job training; though, evidence of desirable skills and qualifications especially great administrative skills can highly improve an applicant’s chances of landing a career. The legal assistant resume example featured here shows promising competence through an internship in a well-established law firm practice.
| KAREN JACKSON|
3737 Hatfield Drive
Greensboro, NC 27480
Tel: (336) 623 -8435 / Email: [email]
|SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS|
|Aspiring legal assistant with knowledge of legal terminology and great administrative skills to assist in coordinating the smooth flow of legal operations. Well organized in maintaining legal documents in paper and electronic filing systems.|
Criminal law knowledge and proficient in legal research in order to gather pertinent details concerning cases. Actively perform many clerical duties in the law office, proficiency in MS Office systems and a typing speed of 65 word per minute.
|ANDERSON LEGAL LAW FIRM|| March 2014-Present|
|Legal Assistant Intern|
- Taking notes as dictated
- Organize and maintain case files and legal documents
- Conduct investigation and gather pertinent data regarding cases
- Track hours and bills to clients
- Efficiently write reports and prepare documents for civil trials
|EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS |
| NORTH CAROLINA UNIVERSITY|
Associate’s Degree in Business Administration, 2013
GREENSBORO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
High School Diploma, 2009
|REFERENCES ARE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST|
Mid-Level Professional Resume
A resume for the mid-level professional legal assistant should exhibit further work experience of no less than 3 years in the field of law. Achievements and acquired skills should be noted as well as further training or accreditations that pertain to the qualifications of a legal assistant. The candidate in the following legal assistant resume sample demonstrates the desire to hold a career in this field through his years of working in the position and secondary training.
2710 Plantain Drive, Greensboro, NC 27480
Home: (336) 981-2213 | Cell: (336) 831-8214| [email]
|LEGAL ASSISTANT |
- Skilled legal assistant with excellent client-relationship and communication skills to assist in preparations for trial and court proceedings for attorneys.
- Qualified in handling, filing, and collecting legal documents and tax returns with attention to detail. Experienced working in computer software, data entry, and average typing speed of 70 words per minute.
|Administration skillsTime managementDocument managementDeveloping business relationships||Problem solvingStandard office proceduresPowerPoint presentationsTechnology skills|
|Legal Assistant Experience|
|LAW OFFICES OF WITTIKIR AND ASSOCIATES â€“ Greensboro, NC|
Paralegal Assistant, September 2012 -Present
|Recruited from Greensboro Attorneys at Law as a Paralegal Secretary upon completion of 2 year tenure to provide legal assistance. Assist attorneys in gathering and recording paperwork regarding case studies.|
- Legal Assistance: Gather affidavits pertaining to the case to aid attorneys. Identify appropriate laws, legal articles, and other materials for designated cases.
- Administrative Responsibilities: Prepare tax returns, document and maintain expense forms. Conduct presentations on legal arguments and evidence in preparation for court proceedings and trials.
Experienced Professional Resume
Professional legal assistants possess highly-developed skills and training in the field with several years of work experience. Candidates should portray a level of professionalism in legal document management and communication skills on a legal assistant resume that is proposed to potential employers. In the legal assistant sample resume presented below, Ms. Meyers notes her various work experiences in different law firms in addition to acceptable credentials to obtain advanced placement in her career.
|1208 Docket Circle|
Greensboro, NC 27395
Responsible | Attentive to Detail | Interpersonal Skills
Manage Time Efficiently | Teamwork
|Extensive knowledge of legal terminology and administrative skills, seeking long-term job opportunity to assist attorneys and ensure strong client relationships. Efficiently carry out research projects to develop a precedent of the case that benefits attorneys in trials or court proceedings of the case.|
|CORE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS|
|Document productionTrial and case preparationsFinancial records maintenanceProject researchTranscription||Law and ethicsFace-to-face client interactionAdministrative responsibilitiesData entryLeadership and training|
|Shubert & Associates|
|Manage documents, billing, and project research in a law firm for multiple attorneys. Provide training to secretarial staff and student interns in handling legal documentation and administrative duties in the practice.|
- Take notes in the courtroom during trials and court proceedings.
- Prepare and transcribe legal documents.
- Identify appropriate laws, legal articles, and other materials for designated cases.
- Draft pleadings and motions in court.
- Provide office maintenance as needed.
- Handle many situations under pressure efficiently.
- Trained and supervised legal secretary trainees.
- Exceptional decision-making skills in project research.
|Franklin County Defense Attorneys|
|Served 2 years in management of documents, billing, and project research in a law firm for multiple defense attorneys. Conducted research to gather conclusive data regarding case proceedings.|
- Organized files and documents in both paper and electronic filing systems.
- Coordinated with the witness of the case in preparation of trials.
- Maintained high-level of confidentiality with the case details.
- Secured affidavits.
- Transcribed pleadings, briefs, and case hearing notes.
- Maintained case costs by authorizing balances with attorneys and clients.
|Law Office Junior Administrator||2004-2006|
|David Law Firm|
|Provided office and administrative duties with proficiency in various computer software programs. Assisted in scheduling and correspondence between clients and attorneys.|
- Documented and input crucial data into spreadsheets.
- Performed personal assistant tasks including arranging transportation.
- Answered phone calls and handled client issues in a respectable manner.
- Assisted in preparation of various legal forms.
- Kept track on multiple deadlines for assignments.
- Assisted in conducting research through database resources.
|EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT|
|University of North Carolina, BA in Legal Studies, Greensboro, NC|
American Bar Association (ABA), Certified Legal Assistant for North Carolina