An office assistant is an individual who plays a support role in the offices of many different types of organizations and companies. Though their duties and responsibilities vary based upon the industry in which they work, there are some skills and traits that are helpful in any setting. These include the ability to multitask, maintain a professional demeanor, and organizational skills.
The office assistant resume format can vary somewhat based upon the amount of experience you have. It is important to focus on the qualities and skills that employers will find valuable, such as your knowledge of and proficiency with commonly used software. There are three office assistant resume options, one for each stage of your career, provided below.
Entry Level Resume
In order to get a job as an entry level office assistant, it is very important to focus on your academic achievements. Oftentimes, no formal training outside of a high school diploma or GED is needed. Because you will have little to no work experience, you will want to focus your attention on your inherent skills and the courses you took that are relevant to the position. In the office assistant resume example here, Lane Porter focuses first on his education and then on his skills.
| Lane Porter|
421 Maple Street, Birmingham, AL 35201
(205) 898-4515, [email]
|Confident and career-driven office assistant with superb decision-making and customer service skills seeking a challenging work environment in which to utilize a strong work ethic, friendly and professional disposition, and ability to learn new skills quickly.|
|Harrison High School, Birmingham, AL|
High School Diploma w/Business focus, 2014
Grade Average: A
- Business Administration
- Advanced Computer Technology
- MS Word and Excel
- Business Communications
- Able to follow complex instructions for the purpose of carrying out tasks.
- Willingness to work long and/or unusual hours.
- Able to pay attention to small details during data entry.
- Proven ability to create professional business documents.
- Familiar with budgeting for office supplies and equipment.
- Dedicated and driven with a strong work ethic.
- Able to perform many tasks at once for the purpose of meeting deadlines.
| TECHNICAL SKILLS|
- Microsoft Office certified since 10/2014.
- Type 90 words per minute with 96% accuracy.
| VOLUNTEER WORK â€“ Harrison High School, 2013-2014|
- Assisted school secretary in performing everyday office tasks during senior year of high school.
- Two hours per day were spent answering phones, filing, responding to emails, etc.
- Was responsible for taking inventory and preparing orders for office supplies.
- Kept office area clean and stocked with supplies.
Mid-Level Professional Resume
A mid-level professional is often described as someone who has three or more years’ experience working in an office setting for one or more employers. At this point, you should be able to list any additional training you’ve received along with any software certifications you have earned. In the office assistant resume sample listed below, Regina Moran describes her skills and achievements before exploring her work history in order to appeal to potential employers.
|Regina Moran |
1615 Trailhead Circle, Lexington, KY 40502 â€¢ (555)-555-5555 â€¢ [email]
|PERFORMANCE SUMMARY:Experienced office assistant with proven track record for dependability and work ethic seeking opportunities for advancement within a successful organization. Able to provide motivation to office staff, learn policies and procedures quickly, and communicate professionally with other departments and business contacts.|
- Microsoft Office Specialist Master Certificate awarded in 2013.
- Able to multitask and follow complex instructions in order to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with budgeting for office supplies and experience with office payroll, including Intuit software.
- Able to make quick decisions in order to solve customer or client complaints in person, via email, or on the phone.
- Effective workspace management skills; able to maintain a clean and neat working environment.
- Proven understanding of fundamental business principles in the hotel industry.
- Was chosen to train newly hired office assistants in the use of proprietary software and office procedures.
- Given recognition as Employee of the Month in June 2011, April 2014, and December 2014.
- Served as interim office manager from October to December 2014.
- Successfully trained in new staff members for Dr. Hider’s practice prior to resignation.
|Bardshore Inn, Lexington, KY|
Office Assistant, March 2010 â€“ Present
- Responsible for making room reservations, processing payments, and interacting with visitors at the front desk.
- Assisted with employee scheduling (including housekeeping staff) and payroll processing.
- Received packages and supplies; routed to correct destination.
- Followed complex recordkeeping and data entry procedures.
- Provided training on maintaining privacy to new employees.
|Interim Office Manager, October 2014 â€“ December 2014|
- Supervised office staff consisting of six employees.
- Followed set budget for purchasing office supplies.
- Prepared monthly reports for upper management.
- Provided motivation to employees and maintained office efficiency.
Experienced Professional Resume
When you have between seven and ten years’ experience as an office assistant, your resume should be in the experienced professional format. In this case, you will want to showcase your primary skills and abilities as well as any additional education and training you have received, such as certification from the international Association of Administrative Professionals. In the office assistant sample resume below, Paula Braxton highlights her technical abilities and skills as well as her numerous achievements with her employers.
|8562 Rochester Heights|
Tulsa, OK 74101
More than a Decade of Experience in the Healthcare Industry
|Dedicated office assistant with more than 10 years of experience in a fast-paced, large-scale setting. Interested in bringing organization and extensive knowledge to a hospital setting that will provide room to further my career while utilizing my budgeting, organizational, and leadership skills.|
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt and remain flexible in the face of change in the workplace.
- Remain positive during stressful situations including the pressure to manage priorities that conflict with one another.
- Proven time-management capabilities.
- Able to maintain a clean and organized workspace.
- Outstanding customer service skills for handling patient inquiries and collections calls.
|Mercy Hospital â€“ Tulsa, OK||10/2010-Present|
|Employed in the Emergency Department at Mercy Hospital as an office assistant. Responsible for patient intake, which includes data entry, billing, collections, and general administrative duties. Proven ability to work in a very fast-paced environment and stay flexible in the face of challenges. Demonstrate ability to remain professional and provide outstanding customer service to patients and their families.|
- Was honored with Emergency Department Employee of the Year in 2011 after assisting in the transition to new recordkeeping software.
- Received Mercy Hospital Tulsa Employee of the Year in 2012 after recordkeeping software was implemented hospital-wide.
- Have received numerous letters of recommendation from superiors and patients who were comforted and pleased with the services I provided.
|Tulsa Lumber â€“ Tulsa, OK||08/2008 â€“ 10/2010|
|Worked in office of large lumberyard to take calls from employees, vendors, and clients. Processed sales and incoming stock. Worked directly with large international shippers to coordinate timing and reduce shipping costs as much as possible.|
|Selected Results: |
- Named Employee of the Month in November 2009 for my role in securing a shipping contract that saved the company $10,000 annually in international shipping costs.
|Jarett James Gym and Spa ||06/2004 â€“ 08/2008|
|Worked in front office in prominent gym. Processed new and renewing memberships. Secured personal training for interested clients and handled large transactions for corporations that provided discounts on memberships for their employees.|
- Assisted in building rapport with clients and customers.
- Worked to ensure cleanliness of equipment and overall customer satisfaction.
|EDUCATION and TRAINING|
|High School Diploma|
West Tulsa High School â€“ 2003
Certificate in Health Administration
Brandman University Online â€“ 2004
Associate’s Degree in Business Administration
Greater Tulsa Community College â€“ 2008