Special education teachers teach various subjects, such as reading, writing, and math, to students with learning, physical, mental, or emotional disabilities. In addition to teaching traditional school subjects, these teachers give lessons in basic life skillsto students with severe disabilities like how to communicate with people, how to follow directions, and proper social behavior. Special education teachers communicate frequently with parents and counselors about the studentâ€™s progress.
It is important to mention education experience in a special education teacher resume because a bachelorâ€™s degree and teaching certification are necessary to qualify for a job in this field. Professional experience should also be stated, as prior knowledge of what to do on the job is highly desirable for employers. Above all, a candidate should convey personality traits such as patience and kindness for these are among some of the most important credentials for working with disabled children. Below are three special education teacher resume format options which show different levels of experience.
Assuming the required education is completed, a special education teacher can be an excellent entry-level position. Candidates who are young and energetic can bring a lot to the classroom. A positive attitude is an attractive quality, as are good communication skills. In the special education teacher resume example below, entry-level candidate Kim Robichaud describes her volunteer experience at a summer camp to show employers she has the right qualifications to work with children.
SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER RESUME
|3539Mary TaylorRoad, Birmingham, AL35235|
T: (205) 533-9472
|SUMMARY||Energetic and loving special education teacher candidate seeks employment to work with disabled children. Patient and understanding, this candidate would have no problem adapting lessons to suit the individual childâ€™s needs. Resourceful and creative when it comes to lesson plans. Excellent communication skills.|
|EDUCATION||University of Alabama, Birmingham, 2010 â€“ 2014|
Bachelor of Science Education
Huntsville High School, 2006 â€“ 2010
High School Diploma
|VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE||Riverview Camp for Girls, 2012-2014|
Planned activities for campers aged 4 to 15. Explained instructions and assisted children at lower skill levels. Prepared a wide variety of games and events to keep the campers engaged throughout the summer. Monitored their behavior and disciplined children as necessary. Ensured that the safety rules and regulations were followed at all times.
|REFERENCES||Available upon request|
Mid-Level Professional Resume
Once a candidate has worked in a field for three years, he or she is considered a mid-level professional. It is still important to list education experiences, however, employers will be focusing more on the candidateâ€™s past employment. Observe how in the special education teacher resume sample below, Ms. Rau describes in detail the responsibilities she had at her previous jobs.
|104QueensBoulevard | Forest Hills, NY11375 | Home: (555)-555-5555 | Email: [email]|
|Special Education Teacher|
Four years of experience instructing students in need
- Evaluate: Discuss with parents and counselors to understand the studentâ€™s particular disabilities, assess the studentâ€™s skill level.
- Adapt: Develop a lesson plan specifically catered to the studentâ€™s requirements, organize activities to purposely match the studentâ€™s abilities.
- Assist: Help the student overcome obstacles in order to learn his or her lessons in such a way as to boost self-confidence and to instill a love of learning.
- Language: Proficient in Spanish
- Computer systems: Proficient with all versions of Windows and Mac OS X.
|AAA ACADEMY â€“ Forest Hills, NY|
Special Education Teacher, 2012 to Present
|Instruct students in grades K â€“ 8 (ages 5 â€“ 15) who do not learn well in traditional classroom settings.|
- Assessment: Identify each childâ€™s unique learning needs and prepare a program to suit him or her.
- Instruct: Teach students basic life skills, lead them in activities that promote their development, always aim to improve each childâ€™s quality of life.
- Communicate: Meet regularly with parents to evaluate the studentâ€™s progress, both in school and at home, alter lesson plan as necessary.
|HEARTSHARE HUMAN SERVICES OF NEW YORK â€“ Howard Beach, NY|
Special Education Teacher, 2011 to 2012
|Taught children with autism spectrum disorders and other developmental disabilities at a nonprofit human services organization.|
- Preparation: Created behavioral objectives and intervention strategies for each student and together established a list of goals to achieve by the end of the year.
- Measure: Frequently assessed the skills of the student as well as their developmental functioning, adjusted the lesson plan accordingly.
- Interact: Conducted an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) to ensure the child is receiving specialized care, communicated with parents on a regular basis, attended annual review meetings.
|CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK â€“New York, NY|
Bachelor of Science Special Education, 2011
|Completed full undergraduate course load with a B average|
|TOWNSEND HARRIS HIGH SCHOOL â€“ Flushing, NY|
High School Diploma, 2007
|Completed full high school course load with a B+ grade average.|
Experienced Professional Resume
Special education teacher candidates who have gained more than seven yearsâ€™ experience are considered experienced professionals. At this level, itâ€™s important to use an experienced special education teacher resume that places more emphasis on work history and acquired skills and qualities. In the special education teacher sample resume below, Mr. Cunningham elaborates on the his past jobs by relating the duties expected of him.
3621W.119th | Alsip, IL60803 | H: (815) 469-5646 | C: (815) 469-9897
|SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER|
|Energetic and compassionate special education teacher candidate seeks new employment opportunities. Highly experienced at creating unique lesson plans for students based on their individual needs and skill sets. Familiar with IEPs and 504 plans. Available at all times to parents and caregivers. Relevant skills include:|
|Critical Thinking / Interpersonal / Resourcefulness|
Communication / Patience
|Chicago International Charter School Longwood â€“ Special Education Teacher, Calumet Park, IL||2009-Present|
|St. Vincentâ€™s Special Needs â€“ SpecialEducation Teacher, Chicago, IL||2005-2009|
|School of Expressive Arts and Learning â€“ Special Education Teacher, Lombard, IL||2004 â€“ 2005|
|University of Illinois â€“ Bachelor of Science Education||2000 â€“ 2004|
|Barrington High School â€“ High School Diploma||1996 â€“ 2000|