The job description of a business development associate involves solidifying relationships with existing clients and developing new clients. The associate has access to all computer software as well as other companytechnologies and supplies to accomplish sales goals.
A business development associate takes part in activities and efforts to expand sales and new business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Business Development Associate
- Provides ideas to attract new clients and expand sales.
- Maintains client relationships through regular contact and customer service.
- Makes contacts with potential clients to create new business opportunities.
- Assists in the writing of proposals.
- Assists in the development of marketing literature.
- Finds solutions to client problems.
- Educates clients on new technologies available to them.
- Keeps up with changes in client environments.
- Understands all of the company’s service offerings and clearly communicates them to clients and prospective clients.
- Attends trade shows, seminars, conferences and industry training programs.
- Reads publications regarding emerging markets and trends in technology.
- Generates standard monthly reports and customized reports for clients.
- Files weekly or monthly sales reports with managers.
- Recommends short-term and long-term strategies for business expansion through new product lines or enhanced marketing techniques.
- Assists with development of brochures and other marketing literature.
- Assists with website content.
- Establishes and maintains knowledge of products and service offerings.
- Analyzes corporate data to identify trends.
- Resolves client complaints.
- Makes cold calls for new business.
- Qualifies new prospects.
- Coordinates with other associates to increase sales.
- Makes sales calls and follows up.
- Generates sales reports and analyzes numbers.
- Schedules meetings and presentations.
- Assists with or conducts presentations for prospective clients.
- Keeps client database current.
- Keeps prospective client database updated.
- Participates in continuing education courses to stay abreast of technology and trends pertinent to the industry.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have excellent computer skills particularly with sales programs and customer maintenance databases.
- Must have strong customer service skills.
- Must have superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must have strong problem solving skills.
- Must have good negotiation skills.
- Must be an active listener.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must have good organizational skills and be an effective multi-tasker.
- Must have good presentational skills.
- Must be able to work well under pressure, particularly when facing a deadline.
- Must pass a background check and drug test.
- Knowledge of and ability to leverage social media to market company products and services is essential.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma.
- Associates degree in a business-related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Business.
- Experience in sales and marketing.
- Time is spent in a private office or shared office space.
- Must be willing to work extended hours including evenings and weekends when necessary and particularly at the end of the month or the end of a fiscal year.
- Must be willing to travel to client sites, trade shows and conferences.
- Salaries range from $30,000 to $75,000 depending on the size and success of the company, the level of commissions earned and the hours worked.