The job description of a capture manager is essentially to close deals for the company or capture new clients and new business. Potential new customers are targeted and the manager goes after them.
The capture manager devises a strategy for searching out promising new business opportunities and clients, and turning those opportunities into new business for the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Capture Manager
- Communicates capture strategy to the sales team and makes sure it is implemented effectively.
- Recruits new employees to staff the sales team.
- Trains newly hired sales personnel.
- Assigns specific duties to the team members.
- Communicates expectations and responsibilities to each member of the team.
- Recruits subcontractors to help the company successfully bid on projects.
- Coordinates and manages the bidding and proposal process.
- Conducts research and uses information compiled by the staff to determine the best price and the best slate of services for the bid.
- Meets with prospective customers to answer questions and discuss a possible contract.
- Closes the deal or makes the final sale and brings in new business for the company for the best possible price.
- Gets appropriate contracts signed by all parties involved in a new business deal.
- Expands the client base while maintaining existing clients.
- Understands every aspect of a business opportunity including the scope of the project, how many resources will be needed, the impact on schedules, competitive pricing and budget concerns.
- Works with proposal developers to ensure that a top-notch proposal is submitted to the prospective client.
- Answers questions in the proposal and is involved in every phase.
- Assigns sections of the proposal to the appropriate experts on the team.
- Holds meetings to ensure the work on the proposal is moving forward quickly enough to meet the deadline.
- Establishes and builds relationships with prospective and existing clients.
- Develops a plan for making regular contact with prospective client targets.
- Studies key competitors.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have experience capturing accounts.
- Must have exceptional leadership and management skills.
- Must have superior organizational and time-management skills.
- Must be an expert decision-maker with sound judgment.
- Should have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a strong public speaker.
- Excellent analytical skills are essential.
- Must be a good delegator and a good multi-tasker.
- Must have strong negotiating skills.
- Must have exceptional computer skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Finance, Marketing, Management or a related field.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Management.
- Certification as a Project Management Professional or PMP.
- Certified Public Accountant or CPA designation.
- Experience as a sales representative or member of a capture team.
- Time is spent in a comfortable climate controlled private office setting.
- Must be able to cope with high stress situations and tight deadlines.
- Must be able to travel to client sites frequently
- Must be able to work long hours and meet with clients and prospective clients in social settings.
- Salaries can range from $50,000 to $100,000 depending on the size of the company and the types of clients.