The chief strategy officer is responsible for the overall vision and mission of the company. The job description of a chief strategy officer focuses on the individual’s ability to conceptualize and formulate strategic initiatives that further that mission and making sure that the day-to-day activities of the company support those initiatives.
A chief strategy officer works closely with the company’s chief executive officer to flesh out the short and long term goals and make sure the company’s output falls in line with those goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Chief Strategy Officer
- Articulates the company’s mission in a clear and concise way that can speak to customers and employees at all levels.
- Collaborates with senior management to devise effective short and long term plans.
- Creates actionable goals that make it possible to turn that mission into tangible results.
- Assesses the company’s many different projects from the products down to the daily administrative activities to make sure they align with the company’s goals.
- Analyzes the success of products, projects, and activities
- Manages economic and financial viability of the company by using management strategies, financial accounting, human resource planning, customer relations, and implementation of new technologies.
- Communicates the company’s official stance on its mission to external sources and internally to all personnel.
- Discovers ways to increase revenue by eliminating wasteful practices and expediting product delivery.
- Leads and supports management in application and implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Represents the company in official functions.
- Develops new business opportunities by leveraging contacts, pursuing new product development, and improving project efficiency.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant laws, policies, and regulations.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must possess exceptional creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Must have a strong working knowledge of management strategies, financial accounting, human resource planning, customer relations, and implementation of new technologies.
- Must be familiar with fundraising and increasing revenue while maintaining a comprehensive and cohesive brand or identity.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and communicating both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to multitask with research projects, data analysis, coordination with the executive team, and acting as the public face of the company in the absence of the company’s CEO.
- Must be willing to challenge the standard thinking with new ideas, new approaches, and new solutions.
- Must have strong decision-making skills and the determination to see projects through to the end.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, management, and collaboration.
- Must be self-directed and able to work independently.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in management, business administration, finance, or marketing required.
- Masters of Business Administration recommended.
- Must have at least 10 years’ experience in strategic planning, business management, corporate leadership, and financial decision-making.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency in analytical research, leadership, and strategic planning.
- Time divided between desk work, conferences, meetings, and on-site research.
- Must be comfortable working long hours, including nights and weekends.
- Must be willing to travel and concentrate intensely on the small details of projects.
- Average yearly salary of $95,000.
- For larger companies, yearly salary can exceed $150,000.