A service advisor works for a car dealership or car mechanic company, and is responsible for addressing customer concerns about their vehicles and advising on the best course of action. A service advisor job description requires detailed knowledge of car mechanics, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate well with patrons.
A service advisor listens to a customer’s description of car trouble, asks follow-up questions to better assess the problem, inspects the vehicle, determines the source of the issue,and provides suggestions for the best ways to fix the vehicle.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Service Advisor
- Asks customers to explain specific vehicle issues.
- Takes detailed notes about symptoms based on customer testimony.
- Enters customer information into system database.
- Inspects vehicle to further analyze the problem.
- Advises customer on necessary repairs and maintenance.
- Works with customer to formulate the best service plan for their budget and needs.
- Draws up work order.
- Assigns service to specific mechanic.
- Assists mechanics in completing repairs.
- Provides cost estimates to customers.
- Answers questions posed by customers.
- Maintains electronic and/or paper records of completed service work.
- Explains the work completed by mechanics and makes suggestion for future maintenance.
- Provides billing statements and explains billing details.
- Processes payments.
- Inspects work completed by mechanics.
- Test drives vehicle before returning it to the customer.
- Trains new service writers.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates detailed knowledge of the automotive industry.
- Possesses working knowledge of the makeups, frequent problems, and necessary maintenance for a variety of vehicles.
- Exhibits strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrates solid organizational abilities.
- Possesses knowledge of proper safety precautions in the service area.
- Knows how to drive vehicles with both automatic and manual transmission.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills.
- Is able to read and interpret work orders and billing statements.
- Demonstrates ability to translate automotive jargon into layman’s terms for customer benefit.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Possesses basic computer skills.
- Possesses physical strength and stamina to remain standing or moving for an entire shift.
- Maintains calm and patient demeanor with frustrated or confused customers.
- Works well with a team of mechanics.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Previous experience in the automotive service industry is required.
- Must hold valid driver’s license.
- Times will be spent at the front end of the service area assisting customers.
- Time will also be spent in the shop overseeing and assisting with repairs.
- Conditions in the shop may be dangerous and dirty.
- Proper protective gear should be worn at all times.
- Standard 40-hour workweek applies though shifts may vary from day to night.
- Some weekend hours are required.
- The average salary for a service advisor is between $50,000 and $60,000 per year.
- The most established and experienced advisors can make up to $100,000-$110,000 per year.
Create your own professional looking resume for free using our resume builder!