A dean of students is responsible for overseeing administrative, behavioral, and academic progress of students at a middle school, high school, or college. The job description of a dean of students involves managing student activities, enforcing disciplinary measures when necessary, and working with other school departments to ensure that all student programs run smoothly.
The dean of students implements and enforces school regulations and policies, coordinates programs with other school departments, meets with students who have exhibited poor conduct, and resolves problems accordingly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Dean of Students
- Coordinates housing, health, and extracurricular services for college level students.
- Assists in overseeing financial aid for students.
- Addresses student questions and concerns.
- Manages budget for student activities.
- Approves or denies funding requests.
- Organizes and runs administrative meetings.
- Addresses and resolves student behavioral issues.
- Refers students to counselors as necessary.
- Devises best course of disciplinary action.
- Attends disciplinary hearings when necessary.
- Writes up student conduct reports.
- Maintains files of all student activities, meetings, investigations, and disciplinary issues.
- Organizes new student orientation sessions and activities.
- Oversees sororities and fraternities.
- Serves as an advisor for student clubs and organizations.
- Attends and supports student events.
- Acts as liaison between students, administration, and faculty.
- Assists in development of programs for academic success.
- Enforces school policy and procedure for students and staff.
- Assists admissions department in reviewing student applications.
- Contacts and meets with parents when necessary.
- Attends student affairs and higher education conferences for professional development.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possesses excellent organizational skills.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Exhibits ability to establish trusting and respectful relationships with students.
- Is proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite and budgeting software.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills.
- Maintains professional but friendly demeanor at all times.
- Works well with a variety of different individuals and age levels.
- Demonstrates ability to multitask efficiently.
- Possesses specific knowledge of the bureaucratic organization and function of education administration.
- Demonstrates detailed familiarity with school code of conduct.
- Exhibits ability to remain calm and patient in stressful situations such as disciplinary hearings.
- Demonstrates ability to manage and allocate funds fairly and effectively.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Business required.
- Master’s Degree in Student Affairs or Higher Education Administration is required.
- Previous work experience in student affairs or education is required.
- Working hours will follow a standard 9-5 schedule.
- Longer hours and overtime may be required at the start of school terms.
- The majority of time will be spent in a temperature-controlled office setting.
- Light physical activity such as walking and standing is required on a daily basis.
- Some travel may be required.
- The average salary for a dean of students is $90,000.
- Salaries range from $50,000 to $150,000 depending on the size and prestige of the school or university.
Create your own professional looking resume for free using our resume builder!