A retail store manager needs to be well-versed in customer service, communications, and organization in addition to being capable of all the high-end managerial tasks that come with running a store. Most individuals who come into this field move up the retail ladder, beginning at a lower position before becoming a manager. A few, however, are able to make the jump right into management after school or from another field of expertise.
Your retail store manager resume should feature as much relevant experience as possible, even if that experience doesn’t come from a retail source or management position. There are a variety of different ways to learn the skills you need for this position. The retail store manager resume format choices provided below should give you an idea as to the different qualities you should emphasize on your own resume.
Becoming a retail store manager with little previous experience can be difficult, but you can break in successfully if you display good leadership, organization, and administration skills. The retail store manager resume presented here uses Ingrid Tressman, an individual who has a bachelor’s degree in business administration and who provides a great deal of emphasis on the skills she learned in school to make up for her relative lack of experience.
83 Pine Street
Burlington, VT 05401
|Highly motivated and extremely organized management candidate seeking responsibility and challenges as a retail store manager in a capacity that requires strong communication, administration, and time management skills.|
- Authoritative and capable of relaying instructions effectively
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent business sense and financial management abilities
- Willingness to manage with flexibility, adjusting based on feedback from customers and employees
- Strong organizational and multitasking abilities
|Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, May 2014|
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT
Graduated with a GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale
Mid-Level Professional Resume
Once you have some work experience under your belt, you should have a strong resume that will allow you to land more lucrative retail management jobs. Not all of your work experience needs to come from full-time management. For example, the retail store manager resume sample provided below presents a Ms. Keating, who served as an assistant retail store manager before moving on to full management herself.
Phone: (504) 651-8999 | [email]
411 Main Street | Burlington, VT 05401
Highly Motivated Retail Store Manager
|Expertise in communications, financial management, and personnel hiring and retention.|
- Several years of retail experience and sales expertise.
- Comprehensive knowledge of store processes and inventory procedures.
- Excellent personnel management and employee communication skills.
- Financial management and budgeting expertise.
- Terrific customer service and communication skills.
|EXPERIENCE||THE BLUE OUTLET, Montpelier, VT|
Retail Store Manager, 1/2012 to 2/2015
|Developed sales strategy and performed hiring and training for a clothing outlet in a small urban area. Responsible for placement of key personnel, time management, and inventory selection. Reported to regional manager and corporate offices. Key outcomes included:|
|EDUCATION||University of Vermont, Burlington, VT|
Associate of Science in Business Administration, 5/2010
Experienced Professional Resume
Somebody who is an experience professional in this field has probably held at least one and likely more retail store management positions over the course of their career. Individuals in this field should be able to give an idea as to their ideal career trajectory in their retail store manager resume and expound upon that in an interview. The retail store manager sample resume provided here is designed first with a look at Mr. Ipsid’s overall career in mind and then moves on to discuss individual job experiences.
1 Holland Drive | Burlington, VT 05401
Home: 802.565.3111 | Cell: 802.651.3131
|RETAIL STORE MANAGER | COMPREHENSIVE BUSINESS EXPERTISE|
|Highly skilled and extremely motivated retail store manager with nine years of management experience. Excellent at verbal and written communication. Strong financial management and human resource skills. Willing to give 100% to any project and ensure complete success of the retail outlet.|
|Core Knowledge and Skills:|
- Business administration
- Customer communication
- Quarterly budgets and financial analysis
- Conflict resolution
- Employee hiring, training, and retention
- Inventory management
- Marketing and sales techniques
- Goal development and maintenance
|Retail Store Manager, Amy’s Department Stores||2010-Present|
|Provide local management of a regional chain with several hundred customers on a daily basis. Provide hiring, training, and promotion. Ensure that employees remain highly motivated and willing to give their all to the success of the retail outlet.|
- Saw 17% profit growth in first year and similar numbers in following years.
- Ensure that customers remained 100% satisfied and resolve any conflicts promptly.
- Established employee incentive track that provided rewards for jobs well done.
- Communicate with local vendors and national retailers, ensuring that the proper amount of stock is always in place
- Provide regular reports to regional manager and corporate offices.
|Retail Store Manager, The McGregor Group||2007-2010|
|Provided daily and weekly high-level management for a retail store which was in its first decade of existence. Developed budgets and ensured that store remained on-target on a quarterly basis. Provided regular employee analyses and suggestions for further training.|
- Received profit goals from corporate offices and ensured that the store had a plan to reach those goals.
- Hired and trained staff.
- Provided annual employee evaluations and ensured that employees always had reasonable goals for improvement.
- Ensured that store was neat, clean, and well-organized at all times.
- Resolved customer complaints and ensured overall satisfaction.
|Assistant Retail Store Manager, The McGregor Group||2006-2007|
|Provided full range of retail store management in the absence of the full-time manager. Served as a communications liaison between employees and store manager. Provided budget goals and assisted in the development of marketing plans to reach those goals.|
- Communicated with customers in person and on the phone.
- Ordered inventory and ensured that stock was rotated properly.
- Remained vigilant and ready to assume retail store manager duties on short notice.
|EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT|
|Bachelor of Science, Champlain College|
Graduated with a BS in Business Administration
Grade Point Average: 3.5 on a 4.0 scale